Skip to content

Sorry For the Delay

January 21, 2010

Sorry since it’s been a couple of days.  I’ve been on bedrest at my parents’ house without wireless internet service which meant that my only link to the net was through my beloved Blackberry.  Today, I’m finally brave enough to remain in a seated position for an extended amount of time.  I’m sure it was a bit of overkill on the bedrest thing…but damn, I even feel guilty sitting up right now.  Going through all of this can really do a number on your psyche.

I’m sure you’re all wondering about how Tuesday went.  I’m happy to say that things went really well.  I was nervous out of my mind when we got to the clinic at 10am.  They checked me in and the bladder filling began.  Normally, you wouldn’t think that would be such a big deal…but then the nurse took it to another level.  She came in the room to tell me I needed a full bladder, but not too full.  If it wasn’t full enough, Dr. RE would insert a catheter in my bladder to add fluids.  On the other hand, if it was too full, Dr. RE would insert a catheter to remove some of the fluid.  Not really a good thing to tell someone who’s already about to shit her pants from nerves alone.  But anyhoo, I managed to get the bladder filled correctly so I was able to avoid any additional violations to my lady bits.  Crisis averted!

Dr. RE came in to tell Mr. B and I that we had 3 perfect blastocysts.  He said the others were lagging behind but hoped they would catch up enough to be frozen.  I must say we were a little disappointed.  After all, we had 13 developing embryos as of Sunday and now he only told us about 3.  We won’t find out until tomorrow as to how many, if any, made it into the freezer.

I walked into the Transfer Room, after my Valium of course.  Mr. B was right behind me.  I swear, this room looked like a Medieval torture chamber.  I hopped up onto the bed and they strapped my legs down.  Then, the ultrasound tech took the probe and pushed all of her weight down on my very full bladder to take measurements.  It was soooo much fun!  Then, the nurse and Dr. RE walked in with all of their garb ready to get the show on the road.  I can’t describe how incredibly surreal it was to be strapped to a table, spread eagle with my husband beside me and three others all fiddling with my lady bits.  They dimmed the lights but the romance was gone.  Then, the side door opened after some type of decompression sound and the Embryologist emerged.  I kid you not, it felt like a scene from Star Trek…or maybe a warped porno version of Star Trek.  The Embryologist was told to load up the blasts and she came in with the catheter.  I already had the speculum and the outer catheter in place, so all Dr. RE needed to do was insert the inner catheter.  We watched all of it on the big screen.  It was amazing.  The Embryologist then checked the catheter and confirmed that it was empty.  My blasts were now safe and sound in my cushy uterus.  After I layed there for about 30 minutes, we were free to go. 

Then, the bedrest began.  It was fun for about the first 8 hours.  The cabin fever set in after that.  Lots of soaps, primetime TV and Sex and the City got me through it.  My mom also did a great job waiting on me hand and foot since Mr. B was out of town for work.  As for today, I’m back in the land of the living.  I am getting a pedicure this afternoon as my treat and will join some friends for dinner later.  Back to work tomorrow, which I’m oddly looking forward to.  It will be nice to have the distraction.  Mr. B will be home tomorrow night and I’m so excited for that.  I miss him dearly.  So now, we wait and wait and wait until next Thursday for B-Day.  I hope I don’t go nuts before then.  Staying sane for the next 7 days will be my biggest challenge.

One Comment leave one →
  1. January 22, 2010 12:53 pm

    yay, 3 embabies safe and sound inside of you! glad to see you’re up and at ’em again. hope you find lots of things to keep you busy for the next week!

    p.s. thanks for detailing the transfer process. mine will be next week and your post helped give me a clearer picture of what to expect.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: